As per Shastra’s :
।। रुद्राक्षम द्वादशास्यम यः कंठ देशे तु धारयेत आदित्यस्तुष्यतेनित्यं द्वादशास्ये व्यवस्थितः नैव वहनेर्भयं चै न च व्याधिः प्रवर्तते अर्थलाभं सुखं भुक्ता ईश्वरो न दरिद्रता ।।
पद्म पुराण, अ. ५७, श्लो. ८०/८२
Wearing 12 Mukhi Rudraksha satisfies Lord Aditya (Sun). The wearer is free from disease; he also gets wealth and happiness.
Padma Purana, Chapter. 57, Shloka. 80/82
Essence of Twelve Mukhi Rudraksha:
The 12 Mukhi Rudraksha is blessed by the Sun also addressed as Surya. Dwadash Aditya is the name given to the 12 Mukhi Rudraksha. The Padma Puran mentions that the wearer of the 12 Mukhi can acquire wealth and happiness. He is freed from the fear of fiery energies and diseases. Poverty stays away from the wearer. Any sin incurred on account of killing or abetting the murder of animals and soldiers at war is nullified by this bead.
The Shrimad Devi Bhagwatam clearly states that the wearer of the 12 Mukhi Rudraksha does not experience any fear of armed men, horned animals and lions. He is free of any physical or mental agony. Thereby this Rudraksha makes the wearer fearless and frees him from troubles. As per the Rudraksha Jabalo Upanishad, Lord Vishnu also blesses this bead. It provides leadership qualities and the individual can harness control over people. It makes the wearer radiant like the Sun and gives inner strength to govern like a mighty ruler. It eliminates all internal doubts that plague the mind and blesses the person with internal happiness.
Benefits of wearing the 12 Mukhi Rudraksha
- General Benefits: It is believed that this bead aids in the acquisition of name, fame, power and position. It substantially enhances qualities of leadership and administration. Professionals like lawyers, doctors and chartered accountants benefit from this bead. It is also believed that this bead improves the confidence and the motivating capacity of the wearer so that he becomes a leader or a trail blazer for others. Thus he can lead others on his path of glory. A 12 Mukhi hanging is used to rectify Vaastu defects.
- Spiritual Benefits: The scriptures refer to the Sun as the Atman, soul of all beings. Thus Sun is none other than the self. The Prana or the vital force essential for life is Aditya / Sun. As per scriptures wearing a 12 Mukhi Rudraksha close to the chest ensures its proximity to the heart. Thus the heart / Anahata Chakra is energized.
- Health Benefits: It is said that it strengthens internal organs and beneficial for ailments affecting eyes, skin and the heart.
Who should wear the Twelve Mukhi Rudraksha:
The 12 Mukhi is recommended usually for administrators, doctors, lawyers and C. A.s. The decision-making and discernment needed to rule with authority and shine forth in their field is bestowed abundantly.
The 12 Mukhi Rudraksha is a very radiant and powerful bead. The scriptures mention its healing powers that cure diseases. The wearer displays the same potent power as Surya Dev. It helps to eliminate stress and anger. It does away with negative tendencies of worrying, being suspicious, dependency and poor self-esteem. This Rudraksha energizes and strengthens all the digestive organs effectively and particularly the heart and eyesight.
Wearing this Rudraksha waking up early in the morning before sunrise and chanting the Surya Gayatri mantra is considered to give extremely auspicious results.
Story of Samba
As per the Samba Purana, Lord Krishna married Jambwanti. They had a son called Samba. He was extremely handsome. His charm and radiance was exemplary. Once he committed a sin and as a result was afflicted with leprosy. His youthful charm now began to wilt and moved towards a very challenging physical appearance. His health began to fail. He invokes Surya / Sun. He prayed sincerely till Surya appeared and blessed him. It was with Surya’s blessings that Samba could do away with this misfortune. Thus he was disease free and handsome once again.
An excerpt from this Purana calls Lord Surya as the radiant master of the universe who through his effulgent rays bestows knowledge. He can bestow salvation through his presence and radiance. Lord Surya has a red complexion, rides a chariot drawn by seven white horses and holds the divine wheel of Time. He is the father who gives warmth, radiance and annihilates all sins with his thousand rays of light. This is how the Suryashtakam ends describing the power of this deity from the Rig Veda.
Rules for wearing and how to maintain your Rudraksha :
- Wash your Rudraksha with water and oil the Rudraksha using a soft brush preferably once a month using almond oil.
- Chant ‘Om Namah Shivaye’ before wearing the Mala the next day.
- Remove Rudraksha Mala while engaging in sexual intercourse and while visiting funeral grounds.
- We at Rudralife, suggest that one can remove Rudraksha Mala while consuming non vegetarian food and alcohol and wear it afterwards. Though our scriptures also highlight that they can be worn all the time without any restrictions.
- Women can wear Rudraksha and is their choice whether they wish to remove the Mala during menstrual cycles. As per our scriptures, there are no such restrictions and women can wear Rudraksha without any worries.
- To energise the Rudraksha Mala, touch it to a shivling and chant ‘Om Namah Shivaye’ 11 times. If possible, try to do a Rudrabhishek of the Rudraksha when possible.
- Do try to refrain from wearing a Rudraksha Mala worn by others and keep a Mala separate for Japa and for wearing.